I did a Video tutorial a couple of years ago on this great song. But Then I thought now I need to do a video on the iconic riff. And we can’t forget about the Pretty Woman chords. So what I decided to do is create the ultimate resource. So that you can have everything you need to play this iconic song. Take a look at the content that will be covered.
Pretty Woman Guitar Lesson
- The Pretty Woman Chords
- How to Play Pretty Woman on Guitar
- Pretty Woman Guitar Intro
- Pretty Woman Guitar Riff
- Also Pretty Woman Lyrics
- Video Tutorial (How to Play Pretty Woman on Electric Guitar)
- Chord Progression for Pretty Woman & Strumming Pattern to
- Two Bonuses: Pretty Woman Tab PDF & Pretty Woman Chords PDF
The Pretty Woman Chords
First lets look at the chords that are in the song and then how to play them. If you already know how to play these chords great skip forward to the next section of the guitar lesson. Or if you need to know how to read a chord chart look at this quick reference How to read guitar chords.
Finger Position of the A Major Chord
- Place Your first finger on the 4th string. The D string. At the second fret.
- Your second finger is on the 3rd string. Which is the G string. Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the B string. At the second fret. This is the 2nd string.
- Strum from the 5th string down, and don’t play the 6th strings.
The chords are A F#m D E Dm G7 C Am
The F#m Chord Finger Position
This is a barre chord but it’s not that difficult give it a try. Look at where to place your fingers.
- Your first finger is across all the strings at the second fret. Like a Capo.
- Then place your third finger on the 5th string. The A string, on the 4th fret.
- Place your Pinkie Under the third finger. Also at the 4th fret on the 4th string.
- You can strum all the strings when playing the F# Bar Chord.
Pro Tip: If you are not used to playing bar chords. You could play these three notes and play the F#m. Which should be a lot easier for you. Place your first finger across the first 3 strings at the second fret. Starting at the G String. The third string, then cover the B string. Which is the second string. And the high E string. Which is the first string. Basically your first finger is barring the 3 strings.
D Major Finger Position
- Place your finger on the 3rd string. The G string. At the second fret.
- Put your second finger on the 1st string. (E string). Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the 2nd string. (B string). At the third fret.
- Strum from the 4th string down. Don’t play the 5th or 6th string.
The E Major Chord Finger Position
- Place your first finger on the 3rd string. (G string). At the first fret.
- Your second finger is on the A string. (5th string). Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the D string. 4th string, second fret.
- When strumming the E chord you can strum all the strings.
Dm Guitar Chord Finger Position
- Place your first finger on the 1st string. (E string) At the first fret.
- Put your second finger on the 3rd string. (G string) At the second fret.
- And your third finger is on the 2nd string (B string) At the third fret.
- Strum from the 4th string down. Which is the D string.
Related Article: Elvis Chords: One Night With You.
G7 Finger Position
- Your first finger is on the first string at the 1st fret. (E string).
- Your second finger is at the second fret of the 5th string. (A string).
- Then place your third finger at the third fret of the 6th string. (E string).
- Strum all the string.
Finger Position of the C Chord
- Place your first finger on the B string, at the first fret. (2nd string).
- Your second finger is on the D string. 4th string, at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the 5th string. At the third fret. Which is the A string.
- When Strumming the C chord. Don’t play the 6 string.
Finally the Am Finger Position
- Place your first finger on the 2nd string. The B String, at the 1st fret.
- Put your second finger on the 4th string, (D string) at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the G string, (3rd string) at the second fret.
- Strum from the fourth string down.
It seems as though there are a lot of chords in this song. Because there are, but the good news is they are all easy chords. Except for the F#m and I gave you an easier way to play it. So Don’t give up now! Go slow and I’m going to show you step by step. So that you will be able to play Pretty Woman, with a little practice and perseverance.
Discover Guitar Bootcamp
A Proven Method That Will Transform Your Playing
The Quickest, Easiest Way to Learn Guitar so That You Can Play Your Favorite Songs.
Discover the Secret to Playing Guitar
Related Article: Merle Haggard Guitar Lesson: The Running Kind.
How to Play Pretty Woman on Guitar
The song is in 4/4 timing which simply means if you can count to 4 then you will be able to play this song. Most songs that you hear on the radio are in 4/4 timing. This means 4 beats to a measure. Lets take a look at the strumming pattern.
In the beginning of course there is that iconic riff which we will get to in a minute. But since we are dealing with the chords this is how your going to want to strum them. Down Down Up Up Down up. Or you can think of it as 1 _ 2 & _ &3&.
Take the chords above and practice playing them using this strumming pattern. The numbers are down strums. ( _ ) is bringing your hand up without hitting the strings. And the (&) is up strums.
Pretty Woman Guitar Intro
The famous Riff that is so iconic. You can name that tune in 5 notes. Now I’m telling my age LoL. Okay the intro goes like this. Your going to pick the low E string 2 times. (6th string). Then place your third finger at the 4th fret of the 6th string. And pick the E string again. Next place your first finger at the 2nd fret on the A string. (5th string). Then pick the A string. And then play an open D string. Which is picking the 4th string, without fretting any notes.
Those notes are played two times through at the beginning of the song. You play one bar and pause and then play the second bar. Take a look at the tab below to practice it.
Related Article: Beth Hart Tell Her You Belong to Me (chords Tab & Lyrics).
Pretty Woman Guitar Riff
After playing that portion of the Riff two times through. Then you play this part of the pretty woman guitar riff. four more times. Which the beginning starts off the same as previously mentioned look at the tab below.
After Playing the intro then the verse starts. Next will go over the chord progression for pretty woman.
Easy Blues Composition
Learn a Complete Blues Song on Your Guitar. Everything You Need in One Course
Discover Techniques So That You Can Play Blues & …Rock & Roll
Learn Rhythm, Licks & Techniques, So That You Can Play; Easy Blues Song on Guitar.
Related Article: Palm Muting Tips You Must Know for Beginners.
Chord Progression for Pretty Woman
I will tell you the chord progressions for the different pieces of the song. But then You will be able to download the chord Sheet and also the Tab to help with practicing. Here is the chord progression.
To get the Complete Chords get the Pretty Woman Chords PDF!
Pretty Woman Chords PDF
Relate Article: Tim McGraw and faith hill: It’s Your Love Guitar Lesson.
Pretty Woman Lyrics
Pretty Woman Walking down the street Pretty Woman the kind I'd like to meet Pretty Woman I don't believe you, you must be true No one could look as good as you Mercy Pretty Woman won't you pardon me Pretty Woman I couldn't help but see Pretty Woman that you look lovely as can be Are you lonely just like me. (Grawl) Pretty Woman stop a while Pretty Woman talk a while Pretty Woman give your smile to me Pretty Woman yeah yeah yeah Pretty Woman won't you say you'll stay with me Cause I need you, I'll treat you right Come to me baby, be mine tonight ..... Pretty Woman don't walk on by Pretty Woman don't make me cry Pretty Woman don't walk away hey Okay, If that's the way it must be okay I guess I'll go on home it's late, Maybe tomorrow night but wait, What do I see Is she walking back to me? Yeah she's walking back to me Oh, oh pretty woman.
Pretty Woman Tab PDF
How to Play House of the Rising Sun
Take a test Drive in this free Course Just Login Here!
How to Play Pretty Woman on Electric Guitar
This Guitar lesson is on My Youtube Channel. Where I break it down step by step how to play Pretty woman on Electric Guitar. Consider Subscribing while your their Thanks. Click to see the Video Tutorial how to play Pretty woman on Electric Guitar.
About Roy Orbison
Roy Orbison a singer songwriter of the 50 – 60’s, who’s music has far surpassed his legendary singing style. Music Scholars claim that Roy’s singing ranged four Octaves which is more of an operatic quality. He was far from the opera star Roy began early in high school singing rockabilly and country music. source
Then after signing record contracts he had numerous successful hits. 22 singles on the billboard top 40 charts. His music continues today with no less popularity than then.
Thanks for checking out this guitar lesson!