I always like when a super fan requests a song in the comments of my YouTube Channel. And so what came next from that request is a 7 Year Ache guitar lesson. Everything you need so that you will be able to play this Rosanne Cash song on guitar.
So if your Wondering what’s in this 7 Year Ache guitar lesson: Look at what’s in the 7 Year Ache Guitar Lesson.
- How to Play 7 Year Ache on Guitar
- Seven Year Ache Chords
- Strumming Pattern for 7 Year Ache
- Chord Progression to Seven Year Ache
- Video Tutorial Seven Year Ache Chords
- Bonus Seven Year Ache Tab
- Lyrics to 7 Year Ache
- About Rosanne Cash
Well if your ready to learn all that. Grab your guitar and let me help you.
Seven Year Ache Chords
The chords in the song are fairly easy chords. Take a look at the chord diagrams to see which chords are in the song. Oh, and if you need help learning how to read chord charts look at this quick reference. Then come back and check out the chord diagrams below for the chords to play the song.
Next is how to place your fingers for each chord.
Finger Position for the C Major Chord
- Place your first finger on the B string, at the first fret. (2nd string).
- Your second finger is on the D string. 4th string, at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the 5th string. At the third fret. Which is the A string.
- When Strumming the C chord. Don’t play the 6th string.
Look at how to Place your fingers for the Am Chord
- Place your first finger on the 2nd string. The B String, at the 1st fret.
- Put your second finger on the 4th string, (D string) at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the G string, (3rd string) at the second fret.
- Strum from the fourth string down.
Related Article: Em chord guitar variation.
Playing the G Major Chord Finger Positions
- Place Your first finger at the second fret of the A string. Which is the 5th string.
- Put your second finger at the third fret on the E string. The 6th string.
- Your third finger is at the third fret. On the B string. (2nd string)
- Then place your pinkie on the third fret of the high E string. The 1st string.
- When strumming the G chord you can play all the strings.
Finger Position of the D minor Chord (Dm)
- Place your first finger on the 1st string. (E string) At the first fret.
- Put your second finger on the 3rd string. (G string) At the second fret.
- And your third finger is on the 2nd string (B string) At the third fret.
- Strum from the 4th string down. Which is the D string.
Easy Way to Play the F Chord
- Place your first finger on the first 2 strings, At the first fret. (B & E strings).
- Then your second finger is on the 3rd string. The G string at the 2nd fret.
- Your third finger is at the 3rd fret. On the D string. The 4th string.
- Only play the first 4 strings.
Related Article: Steel String Acoustic Guitar for Beginners.
How to Play 7 Year Ache on Guitar
This lesson is based off of a live version of the song. That Rosanne performs in her 20’s. Where she is doing only the vocals. In later years she plays the song. And uses a capo. Maybe I will tackle that later. But at the end of this lesson is the actual Rosanne Cash seven year ache YouTube Video. Anyway directly below are the chords.
Have You Check Out the Guitar Courses in My YGG Store?
Related Article: Easy Acoustic Guitar Songs.
Strumming Pattern for 7 Year Ache
This is a great song if you love to strum. The song is in 4/4 timing so your counting to 4 the through the entire song. If you can count to 4 you will do great. Now as far as the strumming pattern it is easy. And the Strumming pattern is DD U DD U DD U DD. Down Down Up Down Down Up Down Down Up Down Down.
Related Article: Friends in Low Places Chords.
Chord Progression to Seven Year Ache
There are 6 chords in the song. One is only in the intro. The way to break it down and learn the song, is learning the chord progression in each section. The sections are as follows.
Intro, Verse, Chorus, There is a interlude, and then the ending fades out.
- C Am G Dm G
- C C Am Am G G Am G X2
- F Em Am F F Em Am G
- F Em Am F F Em Am G
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster see the Current Price on Amazon.
Video Tutorial Seven Year Ache Chords
Bonus Seven Year Ache Tab
Get the tab & lots more when you become a Patreon member. Click the button to access My Patreon.
Related Article: How Much Does It Cost to Take Guitar Lessons.
Lyrics to 7 Year Ache
You act like you were just born tonight Face down in a memory but feeling alright So who does your past belong to today Baby you don't say nothing when your feeling this way The girls in the bars saying who is this guy? They don't think nothing when their telling you lies You look so careless when there shooting that board But you know hart aches are hero's when there pockets are full Just tell em your trying to kill the seven year Ache See what else your old hart can take Boys say when is he going to give us some room The girls say God I hope he comes back soon Everybody's talking, but you don't hear a thing Your still up town on your down hill swing The Boulevards empty why don't you come around Baby what is so great about sleeping down town There's plenty of guys who'll be someone your not Just say your looking for something you might have forgot Don't bother calling to say your leaving alone 'Cause there's a full on every corner when your trying to get home Just tell em your trying to cure the 7 year ache See what else your old hart can take Boys say when is he going to give us some room The girls say God I hope he comes back soon Tell me your trying to cure the 7 year ache See what else your old hart can take Boys say when is he gonna give us some room The girls say God I hope he comes back soon
Related Article: How Do You Play Tennessee Flat Top Box
About Rosanne Cash
Rosanne Cash born to the Country Music Legend Johnny Cash & Vivian Liberto Cash. Who was Johnny Cashes first wife. Rosanne was born in Memphis Tennessee in May of 1955. After graduating High School in Los Angela California Rosanne went on the road.
She went with Johnny Cash learning the ropes. She started out in wardrobe and quickly moved to backup vocalist. Rosanne was on the road for about 2.5 years.
Then her Big debut was in 1974 where she sung on Johnny Cash’s Album, called the Junkie and the Juice Head Minus Me. Rosanne sang lead vocals on a version of a Kris Kristofferson Song, called the Broken Freedom Song.
In 1978 Rosanne Cash released her first debut Album, but it was never released in the United States. Her second Album Gained momentum. Which was seven Year Ache. And the title track also called 7 year Ache reached #1 on the charts. And the song was so popular that it crossed over into the pop Genre. Where it peaked #22 on the Pop Billboard Charts.
Rosanne Cash has since left Nashville and moved to NY City. Where she has released six albums, also written 3 books and edited several short stories. Source
How to Play House of the Rising Sun
Take a test Drive in this free Course Just Login Here!
Related Article: How do You Play Guitar Like Johnny Cash.
7 Year Ache Rosanne Cash
Seven Year Ache was recorded in 1980 by Rosanne Cash. And released in February of 1981. The Album was one of 3 albums that she did. Rodney Crowell produced it. He was married to Rosanne Cash during this time. If you want to see her sing it click on the link 7 Year Ache Vevo on YouTube.