Out of a request comes this guitar lesson. A fan said you know you should do a Crosby Stills & Nash song. So I was checking out some of there songs. And when I came across Teach Your Children. I knew this song was the right one to teach.
If your wondering how to play Teach Your Children by Crosby, Stills, & Nash. Then Teach Your Children by Crosby, Stills, & Nash Easy Chords. Is the guitar lesson you’ve been looking for. Look what is going to be covered in this guitar lesson.
- Teach Your Children Chords
- The Chord progression to Teach Your Children
- Teach Your Children Lyrics
- Bonus Video
If this looks like something you would be interested in learning. Then grab your guitar. And let me help you play Teach Your Children.
Easy Crosby, Stills, & Nash Chords
First off lets learn what chords are in the song. There are 4 easy chords that make up Teach Your Children. They are D G A and Bm. Listed below are the chords in a diagram. If you need help reading a chord diagram take a look at this quick reference: How to read chords.
Finger Position of the D Chord
- Place your finger on the 3rd string. The G string. At the second fret.
- Put your second finger on the 1st string. (E string). Also on the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the 2nd string. (B string). On the third fret.
- Strum from the 4th string down. Don’t play the 5th or 6th string.
G Major Chord Finger Position
- Place Your first finger at the second fret of the A string. Which is the 5th string.
- Put your second finger at the third fret on the E string. The 6th string.
- Your Third Finger is at the third fret. On the B string.
- Then place your pinkie on the third fret of the high E string. The 1st string.
- When strumming the G chord you can play all the strings.
How to Play the A Chord
- Place Your first finger on the 4th string. The D string. At the second fret.
- Your second finger is on the 3rd string. Which is the G string. Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the B string. At the second fret. This is the 2nd string.
- When strumming don’t play the 5th or 6th strings.
Bm Finger Position
- Place your first finger at the 2nd fret across the first 5 strings.
- Your second finger is on the B string. (2nd String). At the 3rd fret.
- Next place your third finger on the 4th string. Which is the D string. At the 4th fret.
- Then your pinkie is under that finger. Put it on the 3rd string. Also at the 4th fret.
- When strumming don’t strum the E string. The 6th string.
Teach Your Children Well Strumming Pattern
The strumming pattern is played like this: What you want to do. When you are playing the D chord. Pick the 4th string. Which is the D string. Then strum the D chord Down Down. Then Pick the D string again and then strum Down Up Up Down.
When playing the G chord. The strumming pattern is the same. But you want to play the G note. Which when you are playing the G chord. The G note is at the third fret of the E string. So what you want to do after positioning your fingers to play the G chord. Pick the E string. Which is the 6th string.
Then strum down down on the G chord. Then pick the E string again. Next strum Down Up Up Down.
The A chord is the same strumming pattern. The Bass of the A chord is the A string. Which is the 5th strings. You are going to start by picking the A string. Then strum down down on the A chord. Next pick the A string again and strum Down Up Up Down.
After that there is the B minor chord. Yes, you got it, we are using the same strumming pattern to play the Bm. First pick the Bass B in the chord. Which is played when you pick the 5th string. When you have fretting the Bm Chord. After that strum the Bm chord. Strum down down. Then pick the B again. Then strum the Bm like this: Strum Down Up Up Down.
Click for the price: Martin Special X Series Style 000 Cutaway Sized Acoustic-Electric Guitar Black
Teach Your Children – Crosby, Still, & Nash Easy Chords Progression
Pick the Bass note and strum the chord. Cowboy Style!
The intro of the song goes like this: DD GG DD A A
Verse: DD GG DD AA DD GG DD AA
Second part DD GG DD AA DD GG DD AA
Chorus: D D G G D D Bm Bm G A
Interlude: DDGG DDA A
Then there is another verse and a chorus.
Outro: DD GG DAD D
Teach Your Children Well Lyrics
You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by. And so become yourself Because the past is just a goodbye. Teach your children well. There fathers hell Did slowly go by. And feed them on your dreams. The they pick the one you'l know by. Don't ever ask them why If they told you, you would cry. So just look at them and sigh And know they love you And You of Tender Years Can't know the fears That your elders grew by. And so help them with your youth. They seek the truth Before they can die. Teach your parents well their children's hell will slowly go by And feed them on your dreams. The one they pick the one you'l know by. Don't ever ask them why If they told you, you would cry. So just look at them and sigh And know they love you. Source
Teach Your Children Facts
Teach your children is a song written by Graham Nash. Graham Nash was a member of the hollies. Acording to Wikipedia the song was released in 1970. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young released the song on the album Deja Vu.
The song Teach Your Children was number 16 on the billboards hot 100 charts in 1970.